Sunday, September 14, 2014

How To Catch A Grasshopper

Caught!
We were visiting our friend Nan last night and she mentioned that something was eating the leaves of her small lemon tree.  The chief suspect was a grasshopper, judging from the large chunks taken out of the leaves.

As we were inspecting the leaves, Cindy spotted the culprit in the act, chewing away on the leaves, so Cindy showed Nan the way to catch a grasshopper.

It seems that if you approach the grasshopper from either its underside or its back, it will feel the movement of the air as you approach and do what grasshoppers do best:  jump out of your way.

Instead, you need to get something to trap the grasshopper in, and then approach the insect head on, so that when it jumps, it jumps directly into the jar.  Then clap the lid on the jar before it can escape.

What you do with it after that is up to you.

1 comment:

Shari said...

I am absolutely petrified off grasshoppers after getting swarmed while I was a little girl. I had long blond hair and the grasshoppers went to the middle of the walkway to get away from the lady watering her bushes. Many were tangled in my hair - hanging in my face - kicking. It was horrible. Ever since then I have suddenly disappeared without warning and my family immediately understands that I must have spotted a grasshopper.

I would love to garden and grow vegetables and the like, but at age 59 I don't think there is much of a choice of "getting over" my phobia.