Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sugar Peas

Oregon Giant Snow Peas In The Pod
I've never been a fan of green peas.  In fact, I hate them so much I usually pick them out of whatever dish they're in and don't eat them, to Cindy's disgust.  She loves peas and can't understand why I don't.  I'm not sure I understand it myself; it's not the size, shape or color, because I absolutely love capers, which are about the same size, shape and color, so it must the the taste.  I just don't like the taste of peas.

I guess I'm from the generation whose mothers took canned or frozen peas and then cooked the bejasus out of them until they were mushy.

But sweet peas or sugar peas in the pod are a different story.  I like them and I'll eat them.

Our sweet peas have been climbing up the poles and are starting to produce pods, so now we're having pea pods in salads and sometimes just on their own.

It's amazing what a difference it makes to have your own food growing in the garden.

No comments: