Sunday, May 25, 2014

Vegetable Mosaic

Cindy planted a cover crop a few months ago to enrich the soil in several of the raised beds; she always chops it down when the plants mature and folds the plant matter into the soil to add nitrogen and other nutrients.
Swiss Chard
Recently she decided to take out most of the Swiss Chard, and then recycled the stems into one of the cover crop beds, creating a very beautiful vegetable mosaic.



I'd love to be able to make a glass bead with these colors on it, but to do so I would probably have to use a soda lime glass known as EDP, aka Evil Devitrifying Purple.  It's a beautiful color, but unless you know how to treat it exactly right, it will devitrify like mad and leave rough spots in your finished bead instead of the normal smooth, glossy surface you expect a glass bead to have.  I guess I just haven't learned the proper way to deal with it.

Too bad, I really like these colors together.

No comments: