Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Alligator Lizard

Since it's April Fool day today, finding the Southern Alligator Lizard in the garage last Sunday reminded me of a non-prank that I was NOT responsible for years ago.

My dad had given us a sculpture he had done of a nest of snakes; the burl on the wood he used for the carving had figuring that suggested snake skin to him.  I've always liked that carving, but Cindy....not so much.  
Dad's Sculpture--Snakes
So one day, while I was at work, she went to dust the sculpture and saw what she thought was a rubber snake lying on top of the snake carving.  "Very funny", she thought, "what a joke, Kay," until the "rubber snake" moved its head.  Then she had to jump into gear and try to get the very real Alligator Lizard out of the house before the cats discovered it.

A great website for identifying California reptiles is California Herps.com.


Real Lizard


Wooden Snakes

No comments: