Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bunching Onions

Bunching Onion Pod
I saw what I thought was a new leek blossom the other day, but Cindy says these plants are really Bunching Onions, not Leeks.

I was hoping for another repetition of the Grinch experience we had last summer when we let a leek blossom flower and go to seed (see: "Did Dr. Seuss Design This Plant?" ).


But this plant's pod was smaller and split open to reveal the flower much sooner than the leek did.  It's not as spectacular, but still looks interesting.

Bunching Onions are apparently from the same family as leeks and bulb onions, and you can use them instead of bulb onions.

Cindy is stealthily educating me to the taste of onion; I used to pick them out of food, and I still find that the taste of raw onion overwhelms the taste of whatever food it's with, but I'm gradually getting more used to the more subtle tastes of other members of the onion family, including the leeks and bunching onions.

No comments: