Tuesday, June 11, 2013

You've Got...Kale!

Lacinato Kale
Cindy planted two different varieties of Kale this year; for all I know we've had it in the past, but it hadn't appeared on my radar screen until this year.  I know it's supposed to be loaded with anti-oxidents, fiber, vitamins and so on and on, but it's never been one of my favorite foods, and probably never will be.

The two varieties Cindy planted are Lacinato, also known as Tuscan, Black Palm or Dinosaur Kale, and Red Russian Kale.  She made some kale chips the other day; I thought they looked like seaweed and tasted like burnt popcorn hulls.
Red Russian Kale

However, I had to modify my previous opinion of it recently when she cooked some for dinner.  Prepared with some of our thyme, some nutmeg, shallots, whipping cream and a little butter, it was excellent.  Who can dislike something that has been cooked in whipping cream?  Cindy said she could probably serve a rubber tire with whipping cream on it and I would think it was excellent, and she's probably right about that.

With its apparent cancer-fighting properties and all the other nutritional benefits Kale provides, I suspect I'll be seeing more of it as the summer goes on.

Seriously, Dinosaur Skin?



No comments: