Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Other Butterflies

We've had other butterflies besides the Monarchs visit our yard recently.  One day I startled our landscaper by shouting when I saw a Gulf Fritillary in the back yard.  It flew off into the canyon before I could get my camera.

We've also had quite a few Cabbage Whites visit our plants.  They move so fast I haven't been able to get a picture of them, either.

Mourning Cloak
Then one day we saw a Mourning Cloak in the back yard.  This is a gorgeous butterfly, with its cream colored edging and row of blue or purple dots around the deep chocolate wings.  I wish we had been able to see more of this beautiful butterfly before it took off, but we were glad  that we got a chance to see it when we did.

1 comment:

Bob phillips said...

Ann and I visited the arboretum in San Antonio on Thanksgiving, several years ago, and saw a butterfly garden planted there. It was late in the season, but still there were many butterflies which were unfamiliar to us. Recommended, if you ever travel there.

bob p