Thursday, July 3, 2014

Sourdough Bread

On our recent vacation in Northern California, we ate at several wonderful restaurants, but the highlight for me was the Tadich Grill at 240 California Street in San Francisco.  Although it has changed locations several times over the years, this restaurant has the distinction of being the oldest restaurant in California in continuous operation.

Since it's only a couple of blocks away from the building where I used to work, I have some vague recollection of having eaten there once before, but didn't remember much about the food.  Silly me.

As an old-style restaurant in the City by the Bay, they do seafood.  Oh, yes, they do seafood.  I love Dungeness Crab, so of course I had to have the sautéed Dungeness Crab legs, and it was perfectly done.   Cindy finally decided on the sea bass after she heard the people at the next table raving over it, and hers was wonderful, too.

And the sourdough bread--I could have eaten a whole meal of it.  I've had bread that was alleged to be sourdough bread in many other locations in the world, but there is nothing, NOTHING that even comes close to true San Francisco sourdough bread.  Nothing.

Dungeness Crab and sourdough bread.  Sigh.  We'll just have to go back.

No comments: